Today about the collar- as I said before I wanted something dramatic, but not overwhelming. A natural extension of the dress, the way flowers grow on the stem:). So the fabric spoke to me after all (I let it take its time...gave it a few days...) I tested the idea and being pleased with the result I went for it!
I did not know how much fabric I need, so rather than approximate this time and cut, I preferred to stitch along the edge of the bulk fabric and cut only after I got enough to roll it around the neckline. That was fun! I straight stitched together 2 consecutive blue stripes, the golden stripe between them forming a taller rib. Then stitched the next 2 blue stripes and got the next golden rib. The length of the stitches varies between 9-5 cms, but for a natural look I didn't measure anything while stitching, I just went like "ok, now shorter and shorter stitches...now we make them longer and longer again..." I noticed the process develops better when I stitch from the inside of the fabric piece towards the edge. But it must have taken about 2 hours to finish or at least felt like it, there are about 100-150 stitches that also need the threads cut at both ends:)
No commercial pattern will ask you to do something like this!:)) But I can't tell you how good it made me feel coz for once putting in some hard work was also giving a pleasing result! - in other words (and circumstances) I've learnt the hard way that just coz I spend a lot of time and make things difficult it doesn't mean they will look fabulous. Oh no. Way.
Soooo... when the edge of my ribbed area measured as much as my neckline I cut the future collar 16 cms in width except for the end part which gets narrower and narrower and gets a round shape. I serged the edge, folded it about 1/2 cms, put the yellow trim on top and chose the 3-step zig-zag stitch with yellow for upper thread and blue for bobbin. Et voila!
If you want to try something similar you will need some fabric with 2-3 mms wide stripes. Plain fabric would also work, but it would be more challenging- you could also apply some fabric paint on the ribs after stitching! You can test a piece to see how much it will contract after the parallel stitches and make a calculation for how long your collar strip needs to be, add something extra just in case and cut. Care to try?:)



Oh, that looks so pretty! :)
ReplyDeleteThanks for the clear and detailed instructions! I think this technique would give great results if used on a mono-colored fabric, and stitched with a thread in a contrasting color. I'll give it a try some day.
ReplyDeleteMagda, thanks for sharing this! I would have never thought of making collar on cross grain, circular wouldn't have worked here. And you made it work with stripes.. I also love the irregularity of the tuck length. A lot of work!!!! But well worth it! I was thinking of adding a regular weekly review of my favourite posts to my blog and I will link to this post, if you don't mind!
ReplyDeleteAna, I'd love to see that when you give it a try:)
ReplyDeleteMarina, I left a comment on your blog, so glad you like my post and want to link to it!:D