Skip to main content

Sun and Mercury Dress ☼



        Oh yes! Finishing a dress that I've been postponing for a month now - what a great feeling! The shape went through a lot of changes from idea to reality- the buttoned closure and length are the few things they have in common. I chose French darts for fitting and kept them for the bodice and the front skirt while the back skirt darts turned into an unique semicircular dart! 



         I couldn't have anticipated I'd be choosing yellow and silver buttons for this golden-turquoise print but I don't regret it at all! After the buttons, the yellow trim came natural as a choice, but it's yellow and golden! First of all, I haven't been a fan of gold or golden before coming to India. So I'm sure my frequent choices of golden fabrics are somehow culturally influenced. Then combining golden and silver- no way- I thought! And here I am gladly breaking that rule without thinking twice:)) Buttoned dresses fascinated me and they still do! Asymmetry adds the spice I'm looking for! 



        For the collar I wanted something dramatic without it being overwhelming. The dress belongs to both worlds - night and day so I was looking for a collar in the twilight! I am so very pleased with it! After all I let the fabric talk to me and what it said was to enhance the beautiful geometry of the stripes and the shining shades:) Next posts will be about how to make this collar and about other elements of this dress! 



Update:

How exciting! Today my dress in on first page on BurdaStyle.com as Featured Project! ٩(͡๏̮͡๏)۶

Comments

  1. Wow Magda. I'm speechless. I really like the shirt dress style in general, but you've brought it up to the next level. The gathered/ruffled collar is such a nice detail, and I really like the slight asymmetry. The yellow finish is so refreshingly unexpected.
    12 points from Serbia! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is an amazing dress. I'm also impressed by the collar!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous. I love the yellow/silver/golden-turquoise color combination. I'm such a fan of unusual color combos. The asymmetry is great, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. absolutely all that they said...the fabric you chose is so lovely and shimmery that is truly like the sun and moon. The asymmetry does give it the extra punch!

    ReplyDelete
  5. it's beautifu magdha..........

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is really pretty! Now if I was 25 years younger - but I feel that way about everything you post :)
    I do feel 25 though - does that count?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous dress and it was very interesting to see your thought process in creating it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely fabulous and flattering to your figure!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the fabric and the details are fabulous ☼

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE THIS DRESS! You have real talent, Magda!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome!! I love the collar. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats on the feature...such a beautiful dress...can't wait for all your expert seamstress posts about it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Warm congratulations on the feature, dear Lady;-)
    And what an exquisite work of art you have created. I adore the detailing at the back of the dress - so feminine, playful and refined. xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your creations are so cute,feminine and very unique....well done!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the collar/neckline on this dress!!! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great dress!
    Congrats with the front page!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the dress! beautiful and unique :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very Talented Dressmaker you are! And congrats on the feature! I'm sure that there'll be more! You've got talent! Congrats!
    Carol from Carol's Jewelry Orchard

    ReplyDelete
  19. that is one swanky dress!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a lovely dress! Congrats on a feature, too!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your clothing is so beautiful. Love this piece

    ReplyDelete
  22. Such a beautiful piece!!! So much to learn from you! Thank you for inspiring me!

    ReplyDelete
  23. It really is a great dress and the name for it is fitting! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oooo, such an eye-catching dress! The fabric is so interesting, I wish I could see it more closely!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments appreciated!☺

Popular posts from this blog

Wrinkled Embroidered Floral Top

After coming back from my vacation I felt that my every day wardrobe needs refreshing. But from thinking to doing something about it - there's a long way! I had the floral fabric for a while now. Deciding about the design is always the hardest part. The premise was to make something simple but somehow that never happens:)) For years I just left these fabrics aside because I didn't get any inspiration for that simple design that is complicated enough to please me:))  I started working on this "tunic-like top" having something completely different in mind. Most of my designs imply asymmetry - that's not news anymore, is it?:)) That's what makes it click for me and I feel my best creations will always have an asymmetrical cut or detail. Other features of this top: a small cream bow on one shoulder, sleeves with ties and slits on each side. The treatment of the cream fabric is similar up to a point to what happens to my wrinkled ...

Swatches Tute

My Fabric Swatches Collection is so useful when I have to look for the same color of fabric, matching trims or matching threads! Here's how you can make one too! How to make this rose? Click HERE (stitch the hook on the back of the rose and at the other end make a thread loop like shown HERE ) (the sliding wooden/plastic bead makes it possible to put different swatches next to one another) Alright, any questions?? Here are a few shades I work with:

The Story Of The Exuberance Necklace

  Once upon a time... after the big bang anyways... there was a sketch of a top for which I wanted to use  contrasting colors. Or maybe I bought the fabrics and then made this sketch... in any case, mesmerized by these iridescent shades of purple and green I took 2 m of each - let's call them gred and purpink. But the flow of this silk cotton and the idea of my top didn't really get along or I lost enthusiasm somewhere along the way, anyways after some time I was left with 2 m in bits and pieces of purpink and of course gred. The contrast inspired me however to try something twisted both literally and figuratively- and it implied thick cotton fusible canvas and machine embroidery on the edge- which seemed like a tough task for my sewing machine from the very beginning but it wasn't enough for me to give up:D. In the virtual museum of the exuberance necklace this would be Exuberance Neanderthalensis ---------->   Each side was made out ...