Skip to main content

Scalloping Tips ✔

Scallops have been in the spotlight lately and quite blogged about - so it's a good time to add my own tips!

  • I use a cartboard stencil to draw my scallops on the wrong side of the fabric with a washable pen.


  • I choose a small machine step to stitch along the contour(2). When I reach the corners I make one horizontal step between circles - it helps to get a nice shape once the scallops are cut and turned to the other side.





  •  I cut 3 mms from the edge, but the corners need to be clipped closer to the stitch. For that I use a seam ripper, I thrust it close to the stitch but facing the opposite direction and push. 


  • Washing a scalloped piece of clothing can make scallops lose their shape - to prevent that I use a zig zag stitch along their edge - it makes "maintenance" so much easier!

Any other tips you thought about or came across? Please share~

Update Monday, May 23rd

Practice makes it better, so after practising some more I returned to this topic to add another tip that i think you might find helpful:
  • After stitching the scallops on the wrong side, turn them to the right side and take the time to arrange them and hand-bast before ironing.  Unpick the hand-basting thread once you have zig-zagged the edges.

        Some of you were wondering what these scallops are part of - it's my Summer in the City  shirt design that I uploaded a while ago!

Comments

  1. Oh my! Such neat work!
    Thanks on the great tips Magda!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love scallops. This post of yours made me nostalgic and took me back to my first attempt of scallops in my sister's kameez hem. I remember making a cardboard stencil for the scallop

    ReplyDelete
  3. To prevent them from losing shape, you may as well interface the scallop edge, bit more of work, but well worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Man scallops are crazy popular right now. Which is nice for me because I want to make a dress with rows of scallops on the skirt and all these tips are great. Thanks:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @CreativeMama - interface would be a great idea too! I had trouble finding thin interface around here though...

    @montanachic - I'd love to see your dress when it's done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for this post.....great sewing tips!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great tip....will have to try the zig zag one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. who knew it was such work to make those pretty shapes?? Not me. I'm a terrible seamstress. I stick to square/rectangle items. Or things that dont matter if they have sloppy lines.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Scallops with buttonhole stitch also looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah, I adore that piece of red fabric
    Excellent sewing tips here; one can learn alot from this blog. Hope you are enjyoing the warm sunshine;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I find wonderful sewing tips here always, these scallops are part of a dress? I hope the heat is fading and you're better now, is very pleased to back here again.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Not only are you an excellent seamstress, but a strikingly creative one too! I love how bold your designs are. Very forward-thinking and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments appreciated!☺

Popular posts from this blog

Wrinkled Embroidered Floral Top

After coming back from my vacation I felt that my every day wardrobe needs refreshing. But from thinking to doing something about it - there's a long way! I had the floral fabric for a while now. Deciding about the design is always the hardest part. The premise was to make something simple but somehow that never happens:)) For years I just left these fabrics aside because I didn't get any inspiration for that simple design that is complicated enough to please me:))  I started working on this "tunic-like top" having something completely different in mind. Most of my designs imply asymmetry - that's not news anymore, is it?:)) That's what makes it click for me and I feel my best creations will always have an asymmetrical cut or detail. Other features of this top: a small cream bow on one shoulder, sleeves with ties and slits on each side. The treatment of the cream fabric is similar up to a point to what happens to my wrinkled ...

Time Travel Dress!

Yes, this is what Mr. Snaxo was trying to show you! It's a dress that took me lots of time to start, then some time to make, then lots of time passed till I took pictures! All abt Time Time Time! What's a dress for? To go here and there, therefore travel ... (But I'm pretty sure I didn't think this much when I just named it Time Travel Dress ... ) Other arguments I bring in favour of the name (these also just popped out): the print takes you back to childhood - it's full of of cute scribbles, all on a dotty background like in vintage comic strips! it's tight around the neck so that no matter how you land on the other side of the time portal you won't spill out of your dress!  It's also elegant because it seems to agree with this one of a kind definition I read here : True elegance almost always has a waist and is ladylike, i.e. it’s feminine and you can get our of a car without blushing. : ) Also out of a time machine , I would add......

Swatches Tute

My Fabric Swatches Collection is so useful when I have to look for the same color of fabric, matching trims or matching threads! Here's how you can make one too! How to make this rose? Click HERE (stitch the hook on the back of the rose and at the other end make a thread loop like shown HERE ) (the sliding wooden/plastic bead makes it possible to put different swatches next to one another) Alright, any questions?? Here are a few shades I work with: