Skip to main content

DIY- The 4th Type of Rose


... and if I may say so, my favorite so far... I love them all, but this one is the fluffiest and most exuberant!

I cut a strip of chiffon  full width (110cm) and 20 cms in length. Then on bias I made these curly ribs using invisible (nylon) thread and a tight zig-zag, all on the same side of the fabric. You can also use normal thread and, why not, contrasting colors!


I folded the strip in 2 lengthwise, the ribs being inside,  and stitched the edge. Turned inside out this long cylinder - the ribs are now on the inside, the assembling stitch on the inside.


Then I followed the steps mentioned in my first rose tutorial without pressing it first.

For other version of roses of roses I made check out this link (the wrinkled rose) and this one (the other 3 in a funny scheme).

For a "green" version of ties using selvedge see this tutorial:)

I can't promise this is the last type of rose - but I can promise to blog about other things too:)) For sure you'll hear about a lovely jewelry bag that I made today and see the overdue colorful tutorial about organizing fabric swatches!


And one last pic of the rose which I like a lot:)

Comments

  1. Lovely! another one added to my never -ending to-do list, i plan to make one flower of each type and use them as embellishments in few outfits of the entire set of 9 new dresses i am making for this navarathri! Thanks for sharing this magda!

    Looking forward to fabric swatches organizing tute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes Lakshmi and making a skirt this month is still on my never ending to do list too:))I haven't forgotten... but I haven't made one either:((

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is gorgeous! And the color is perfect for the fall!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You always impressed me with all these ideas bubbling in your head like a pot about to explode ... you are so talented!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmm, I like the exuberance! :)))

    And the colors you use... I seem to be helplessly attracted to them.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments appreciated!☺

Popular posts from this blog

Wrinkled Embroidered Floral Top

After coming back from my vacation I felt that my every day wardrobe needs refreshing. But from thinking to doing something about it - there's a long way! I had the floral fabric for a while now. Deciding about the design is always the hardest part. The premise was to make something simple but somehow that never happens:)) For years I just left these fabrics aside because I didn't get any inspiration for that simple design that is complicated enough to please me:))  I started working on this "tunic-like top" having something completely different in mind. Most of my designs imply asymmetry - that's not news anymore, is it?:)) That's what makes it click for me and I feel my best creations will always have an asymmetrical cut or detail. Other features of this top: a small cream bow on one shoulder, sleeves with ties and slits on each side. The treatment of the cream fabric is similar up to a point to what happens to my wrinkled ...

Swatches Tute

My Fabric Swatches Collection is so useful when I have to look for the same color of fabric, matching trims or matching threads! Here's how you can make one too! How to make this rose? Click HERE (stitch the hook on the back of the rose and at the other end make a thread loop like shown HERE ) (the sliding wooden/plastic bead makes it possible to put different swatches next to one another) Alright, any questions?? Here are a few shades I work with:

The Story Of The Exuberance Necklace

  Once upon a time... after the big bang anyways... there was a sketch of a top for which I wanted to use  contrasting colors. Or maybe I bought the fabrics and then made this sketch... in any case, mesmerized by these iridescent shades of purple and green I took 2 m of each - let's call them gred and purpink. But the flow of this silk cotton and the idea of my top didn't really get along or I lost enthusiasm somewhere along the way, anyways after some time I was left with 2 m in bits and pieces of purpink and of course gred. The contrast inspired me however to try something twisted both literally and figuratively- and it implied thick cotton fusible canvas and machine embroidery on the edge- which seemed like a tough task for my sewing machine from the very beginning but it wasn't enough for me to give up:D. In the virtual museum of the exuberance necklace this would be Exuberance Neanderthalensis ---------->   Each side was made out ...